🠈 Daggett County, Utah 🠊
Daggett County occupies 721 scenic square miles in Northeast Utah. The county was carved from Uintah County in 1918.
The 2010 census reported that the county had only 1,059 full time residents—making it the smallest county in the state.
The landscape of the area is dominated by the steep Uinta Mountains in the Western half of the county and the Green River which carved deep chasms through the Central and East portions of the county—making it difficult to get to other parts of Utah. You can take a rubber raft down the river, but the ride will be bumpy.
The county was named for Ellsworth Daggett who helped survey and provide irrigation in the area. The primary industries in the area are recreation and power generation.
Early explorers in the area include William Henry Ashley, the namesake of Ashley National Forest who, along with other members of Rocky Mountain Fur Company explored the west in the 1820s.
In 1837, Philip Thompson and William Craig built a camp called Fort Davey Crockett at Brown's Hole on the Green River to server trappers in the region. The camp earned the nickname Fort Misery.
- Wikipedia - Daggett County (Drawn 2/26/2017)
Prev ~ ~ Index ~ ~ Next